Saturday, October 27, 2007

English teachers.......aaarrrrrgggghhhhh!

Katie came home from school Friday, on one hand she was tickled to death...she made the volleyball team, but on the other hand she was almost in tears.

She told me that her English teacher had called her and another little girl to his desk on Friday and said to the one little girl...you have 7 AR points and Katie you have 8.5 AR points...it seems that the two of you aren't trying. AR points are points that you receive after you've read a book and take a test. Katie told me Friday that they are optional, but she had told me that she was trying for a goal of 100 this year. And I said more power to ya.

The teacher told of the girls that he was going to give them MORE work so that he will know they are reading, he said maybe even get your parents to sign it. I looked at Katie and said...fine with me, you read to me every night...or if you don't actually read to me, I can see you sitting on the couch reading. She has read 3 books in the last 2 weeks...which is a GREAT accomplishment for her. She read...I Would Tell You That I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You and Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy both by Ally Carter. She loved these books, and I said to her while she was reading the last one...do they have the AR test for these books, she replied back to me...I dunno, but I can ask and see if they can get them for me. She's still waiting on the answer. Then we got Heaven Must Look Alot Like The Mall last Saturday and she finished on Monday after school...and again, I said to her, is there an AR test for this book...to which I got the same reply. Now she is reading Twilight and this book does have an AR test worth 12 to 16 points. I asked Katie if she told her teacher she was reading this book...and I got a no ma'am.

I'm afraid that the teacher is now going to take the love of books that she just found away from her because he doesn't think she's trying hard enough. I asked her if she wanted me to call him or email him to tell him what she has read and is waiting on whether or not there's an AR test. Again, I got no ma'am.

AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Janet Webb said...

It that the height of irony or WHAT! An English teacher that makes you less likely to adore reading. Don't let it happen Mamma Bear! Take her to a bookstore and let her go wild ............

Thanks SO much for sharing that story :)